Tuesday, July 17, 2007

What are You Thinking?


More and more I try to monitor what is in my head... what I am thinking about. Why? Because it is our thoughts that are the precursors to our feelings and our actions. The bottom line is that how we think controls how we live. So isn't that a strong enough reason to monitor our thiking throughout each day?

It takes discipline to do this but like any habit is formed, if you do it enough, it can become a habit and it can be a very positive lifestyle behavior in your life. The more I read about the faith and heallth connection and understand how our mind, body and spirt are integrated, the more I understand how critical the spiritual exercise of Renew Your Mind/Think Spiritual Thoughts is.

The more I read the Bible and let what I read soak into my mind, the easier it is to be reminded of these Biblical truths throughout the day. I try to ask myself- are my thoughts positive and based on Biblical truths? If they are not, then I consciously think of a truth that is spiritually/Biblically sound and correct. This can help me get out of thinking in a negative way.

Click here to read more about this spiritual exercise in an excerpt from my booklet on "Spiritual Exercises for a Healthier Life."

Have a terrific day!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your words on the matter of our thoughts linking to health and wellness. I used to only think of Rom 12:2 "be transformed by the renewing of your mind" as relating to my tendency towards temptation to sinful behavior and a spiritual transformation. However, I have learned that that renewing of my mind is also just basic negative thinking (critical self-talk, discontented complaining, lies I believe from the world or spiritual battles) vs. positive thinking (trusting and resting in God's truths for my life). And I have experienced that the transformation is not only spiritual, but practical--physical, emotional, mental--bringing more joy, peace and wellness to my body, mind, relationships, and daily routine.

I continue to work to discipline myself to hear the little negative whispers coming at their onset, feel the physical/emotional reaction coming, and recognize the choice I have to react or to replace that thought with God's truth. I hold close the power in 2 Cor 10:3-5 "we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ" as it makes all the difference.